So, I managed to get my hands on The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith - otherwise known as J. K. Rowling. And by "managed to get my hands on" I mean my fiancé treated me to it (isn't he sweet). I've read everything J. K. Rowling has written and I LOVE HER. I love Harry Potter, to the extent that I started the Harry Potter society at my University. For those of you wondering, she used "Robert Galbraith" as the authors name because she wanted honest criticism. But it got leaked by someone, oopsies.
I read The Casual Vacancy , which was her first release since the Harry Potter series, and it was so weird to read! it has swear words in and my reaction was along the same lines as the first time I heard my parents swear - awkwardness and shock. I really enjoyed reading it and I was pleased at how well she managed to move between genres. It was well written and I really enjoyed it. I also heard that the BBC are looking to make it into a TV series!
Her most recent series of books are crime novels and I love them. I don't even like crime novels (but I do love J. K. Rowling - she is my queen). I wont go into the details of the book as it has just come out, and you know, spoilers! But I will say it's really good. The main character was introduced in first book in this series, "The Cuckoo's calling" and he's a private detective. Throughout the books reference is made to his past, which makes it easy for the reader to see how he got into the job, why he makes certain decisions and how he got the authority and experience in the area. This very thorough character background makes for very interesting reading. In the first book his assistant ,Robin, is introduced as a capable and efficient secretary come researcher . The Silkworm has more storyline surrounding her and her personal life which is interesting as a counter point to the main story line.
I was really hoping to get to see her at The Crime Writing Festival in Harrogate but Noooo the fates conspired against me and the tickets were sold out! I was briefly elated at the prospect of meeting her but I was very quickly deflated.